OS3G - Open Source, 3rd Generation

A (humble) attempt to publish news from the trenches where Free/Libre/Open-Source Software is brought to the mainstream -- and Francois Letellier's blog, too

Monday, September 05, 2005

OSGi Conference and Projects

ObjectWeb is supporting sponsor of the OSGi Alliance 2005 Developer Forum & World Congress, which will take place on October 11-14, 2005 in Paris, France.

The following ObjectWeb members will speak in 6 presentations: Richard Hall (Univ. of Grenoble, ObjectWeb College of Architects), Mikael Desertot (Univ. of Grenoble), Didier Donsez (Univ. of Grenoble), Stephane Frenot (INRIA), Clement Escoffier (Univ. of Grenoble). They all contribute to ObjectWeb OSGi related work, including the OSCAR project.

On July 21, 2005, I read an entry in Sylvain Wallez's blog announcing that "Alex Karasulu invited the Oscar project to join the ASF". I posted a comment on Sylvain's blog. On August 26, I also answered to a post on the Oscar-dev mailing list on Apache's Incubator.

Quoting the message: "Now if they [ObjectWeb] really have a problem with what's happening, it's up to them to react. So let's move on!"

Quoting my answer: "We (ObjectWeb) brought up the subject of OSCAR "moving" to Apache weeks ago, if not months. [...]

OSCAR has been hosted at ObjectWeb for some time now. Rick, the project leader, also has been hosted by consortium members. [...] Definitely the OSCAR-OW relationship has extended beyond 'infrastructure'.

Nothing prevents contributors to Apache projects to also contribute to ObjectWeb projects. We grant access to any committer a project leader choses, regardless of their affiliation. In addition, OSCAR is under a BSD license. This means that Apache projects can take dependencies on OSCAR without compromizing ASF's license policy. [...]

The best way to go would probably be to find a solution where a single project would benefit from the support of the two communities (Apache & ObjectWeb). Maybe the notion of 'sister projects' would apply here: Apache OSCAR would mirror the existing ObjectWeb OSCAR.

Here, we have an opportunity to let our two communities work together. I think we should seize this opportunity for everybody's benefit."

2 Comments:

  • At 11:09 PM, September 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    François, would you please stop using the same quotes from me again and again using what I consider a wrong interpretation?

    I did initially had some bad wording in my blog post, which I explained and for which I apologized. Then I was one of those (or even the only one?) that raised your concerns within the ASF. The problem is that, at that time, there was close to no feedback from OW. Sorry, I don't buy "we (ObjectWeb) brought up the subject of OSCAR "moving" to Apache weeks ago, if not months".

    So not being an OW member, it's not my role to defend OW's interests within the ASF, and considering this apparent lack of interest it seemed to me there were more interesting subjects to discuss on the mailing list. That's what I'm saying with "let's move on" and that's all.

    I'm probably the one who most voiced your concerns within the ASF. And I'm starting to regret it, as those who simply ignored OW don't have to suffer from your rants.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, September 08, 2005, Blogger Francois Letellier said…

    Hi Sylvain, thanks for your comment -- here's a place where you can express your viewpoint too. My blog entry here was mainly for announcing the OSGi conference, even thought I seized the opportunity to mention a little history on Apache / ObjectWeb relations about OSCAR.

    There's a contradiction in your message. On the one hand, you wrote "Now if they [ObjectWeb] really have a problem with what's happening, it's up to them to react" and on the other hand, you call reactions "rants".

    So what do you mean, react? React silently? We all have more interesting subjects to discuss, and we all would like to move on.

    I reacted on your blog on July 21, then I posted a message on oscar-dev on Aug 26. Please do the math. The expression "weeks ago, if not months" if factually correct. On the Oscar-dev mailing list, I posted a proposal of using the mechanism of sister projects. It was a very concrete proposal for moving on because, as I tried to advocate for, "we have an opportunity to let our two communities work together. I think we should seize this opportunity for everybody's benefit." I do really think it'd be best for all.

    What's Apache position on this proposal? Getting an answer would be a good way to move on and to discuss of other, more interesting, subjects. I got none.

    This said, please be assured that it is nothing personal against you, and that I appreciate you very much as a person and for your involvement in the open source community.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home